Braunschweig is a beautiful city of the federal state Niedersachen with approx. 250.000 inhabitants. The cityscape is shaped by handsome historic buildings and plenty of greenery. Additional, the Oker flows around the old town, that's why there are more than 20 bridges. Besides the many parks and colorful markets there are museums, theaters, shopping centers and many different gastronomic locations.
Braunschweig is a significant place for science and research. There are more than 250 high-tech companies and almost 30 research facilities, among them the German Aeronautics and Apace Research Centre (DLR). Beyond that, altogether 21.000 students study at the Technical University Braunschweig or at the University of Art (HBK).
Braunschweig is known also knwon as the "Lion City". This term is from the 12th century. At that time Heinrich the Lion was the duke of Sachsen. Under his reign Braunschweig had grown and flourished to a considerable city. For this reason, the lion became the municipal coat of arms.
Top 5 Places to visit
- is the heart of medieval Braunschweig with Dankwarderode Castle and the cathedral (both from the 12th century). You can also see there Braunschweigs landmark, the statue of the Castle Lion.
Rathausturm (City Hall Tower)...
- is 61m high. You can climb the 161 steps of the City Hall Tower for FREE. Just ask the doorman. The view of Braunschweigs inner city is worth the climb!! It's open from Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 15:00 o'clock.
Altstadtmarkt and Kohlmarkt...
- are two of Braunschweigs nicest medieval marketplaces with some of the citys most beautiful buildings.
Braunschweigs Christmas Market...
- is one of Germanys most beautiful christmas markets. More than 140 stalls, treats, craftmanship, a historic ferris wheel and much more from the end of November until almost New Years Eve.
Bürgerpark and Okercabana...
- are the best places to relax. At first chill, take a walk, go running, cycling, swimming or even sailing (on Südsee) in Braunschweigs largest park. Afterwards take a drink on the beach at Okercabana, in the heart of Bürgerpark.